Saturday, February 6, 2010

Column: 'Pop-stars are not just pretty faces' for lip Magazine

I've recently started up as a blogger for lip Magazine, my first entry can be found here.


pop-stars are not just pretty faces
by Anna Angel


Only a few years ago the words “female pop star” would conjure up images of scantily-clad, pouting sex kittens with a vocabulary limited to ‘ooh’, ‘baby’, and the occasional ‘oh, baby’. True to the ‘Ten Things I Hate About You’ classic deadpan, “I want you, I need you, oh, baby, oh, baby,” many of the artists on the airwaves were no more than synthesised hotties. Right now, more than ever, the music industry is making way for scantily clad and pouting female pop singers with a brain and personality behind them. Whether you like their music or not, and it’s evidenced that many do, the likes of Beth Ditto, and Lily Allen are leading a brigade of songstresses that have powerful voices and something to say with them.

Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment